The Office of Deacon
Deacon is an Anglicized version of the Greek word for servant, and the first ordained deacons were chosen to serve food to fellow Christians. Eventually, deacons were set apart for other service as well. Acts 6:1-6 and I Timothy 3:8-13 are Biblical references that help shape South Main Baptist Church’s interpretation of a deacon.
South Main deacons are men and women who are the servant leaders of the congregation. They are the front line of support for church activities and service and mission projects. They help the staff with pastoral care needs and serve the Lord’s Supper. As a group, deacons are instrumental in bringing experience and wisdom to important church business matters and initiatives.
The Deacon Nominating Committee is charged with considering new deacons from nominations submitted by the congregation. Congregation members are encouraged to nominate a person to be a new deacon who is:
- An active participant in the organized Bible study program and worship services at South Main.
- A consistent financial supporter toward the regular budget of South Main.
- A believer in and supporter of the concept of a stable and harmonious home life as God’s basic unit of society.
- Of the highest moral character. Every person who comes in contact with the candidate, whether at the church, in the business world, in the neighborhood or the home, should be inspired to live a more Christ-like life.
- A spiritually mature follower of Jesus Christ who shows unselfish concern for others, being kind and hospitable to strangers and fellow Christians alike.
The Deacon Nominating Committee
The Deacon Nominating Committee is elected by South Main Baptist Church to consider the ordination of new deacons as well as determining which deacons are on active or reserve status, who is eligible to be a senior deacon, and setting apart honored deacons. Current members of the committee members who do not have to be deacons, include:
Jan Barkley, Chair
Susan Moore, Staff liaison
The Deacon Nominating Committee requests your prayers as careful, confidential consideration is given to each candidate. The committee’s recommendations to the church will be presented at the quarterly church business meeting in October.
To recommend a person for deacon ordination, include important and pertinent information about the candidate using the online submission form or complete a hard copy form found around campus and hand it to a committee member or mail it or drop it off in the church office to the attention of Susan Moore. The Deacon Nominating Committee is soliciting recommendations for deacons until October 1, 2017. Click the link below to fill out an online nomination form.
Jim H Barkley
Moo Sup Han
J. D. Walther